A low-effort post (not really) about some of the stuff that I’ve been busy with. These posts are meant to be a quick #witness-update. Remember? We used to write those. > abbr. (plural abbrs.) > Abbreviation of abbreviation.
The chat that used to use the old name that I don’t even want to mention is now gone. For good. It became obsolete when we moved, but we wanted to keep it alive for those who don’t log in often enough so that they could still find their way to Hive.
If you are new to this: [OpenHive.Chat](https://openhive.chat) is based on [Rocket.Chat](https://rocket.chat). It’s free and OpenSource. Our instance has Hive authentication (via [HiveSigner](https://hivesigner.com/)).
You don’t need to add dApp's authority to use it (you don’t send your posting key anywhere, you just use your key on the client side to sign a message to prove that it’s you(\*)).
(\*) someone who controls a given private posting key
# OpenHive-Network on GitHub
I re-enabled push mirrors for [`hive`](https://github.com/openhive-network/hive) and [`hivemind`](https://github.com/openhive-network/hivemind)
As you may have noticed, it played a big role in the recent GitLab breakdowns.
We use it as a push mirror for GitLab repository, mostly for visibility and decentralization. If you have an account on [GitHub](https://github.com/), please “Fork” at least [hive](https://github.com/openhive-network/hive) and [hivemind](https://github.com/openhive-network/hivemind) and “Star” them if you haven’t done so yet. We haven't paid much attention to it, but apparently it's important for some outside metrics, i.e. how others perceive our project.
If you are actually reading my post, you can join a little game to win an upvote ;-)
- Go to https://github.com/openhive-network/hive
- Click “Star” and “Fork”
- Do the same with https://github.com/openhive-network/hivemind
- Post a comment with your GitHub username
- People who did that in the past are also eligible, just post a comment with your GitHub username
Since last time, we’ve gained 25 stars and 13 forks for Hive. Currently: 185 / 55. Please, do some clicks.
This piece of software needs more love. For many users, it’s the only software that will ever have access to their privileged keys (Active, Owner). It’s what exchanges, whales, and smart people rely on to sign their transactions.
I’m doing some maintenance work around it, looking for bugs and missing features, doing small fixes, cleanups, and docs improvements. But don’t be mistaken, it still requires tons of work.
One of the bigger tasks to be done (and being currently handled by @blocktrades team) is: “[Signing with an account authority is currently not supported](https://gitlab.syncad.com/hive/hive/-/issues/150)”
- Restored some missing metadata (issues, comments) in GitLab related to hive / hivemind development (that were recently lost)
- Found sneaky “[errors during snapshot load (Invalid argument: You have to open all column families)](https://gitlab.syncad.com/hive/hive/-/issues/161)”
- Found “[unexpected requirement for `list_my_accounts`](https://gitlab.syncad.com/hive/hive/-/issues/163)| and fixed it. It was just misleading `FC_ASSERT` that erroneously claimed that `account_history_api plugin` was needed.
- Staying up to date with the current develop of hive and hivemind, which has enabled me to find such issues as “[current develop build fails on Ubuntu 20.04 LTS](https://gitlab.syncad.com/hive/hive/-/issues/164)”
- Or that it’s “[not possible to reach head block in live sync after resuming from failed `after-initial-sync`](https://gitlab.syncad.com/hive/hivemind/-/issues/162)”
- Created a PEP517 workaround to fix [Hivemind install issues](https://gitlab.syncad.com/hive/hivemind/-/issues/161)
Apparently, Python people were like:
> \- _We have a dozen of ways to install software and that might be confusing for sane people..._
> \- _\*thinking\*_
> \- _Let's make another one!_
# Governance voting expiration
Do you know that the last Hard Fork brought governance voting expiration?
It means that if you are not active governance-wise (voting for proposals, voting for witnesses), your votes will expire after some (long) time. For example, for my account, expiration is currently set to `2022-07-06 12:06:24`.
Vote for one or many HBD stabilizer proposal(s), approve me as a witness, unapprove inactive witnesses. Those are examples of many good ways to extend your expiration date and help Hive to grow :-)
ASCII version of the logo:
/\ \HI\ \VE\
/HI\ \VE\ \HI\
/HIVE\ \HI\ \VE\
/HIVEHI\ \VE\ \HI\
\HIVEHIVE/ ___ /VE/
\HIVEHI/ /VE/ /HI/
\HIVE/ /HI/ /VE/
\HI/ /VE/ /HI/
\/ /HI/ /VE/